At Chastain-Skillman, we recruit top talent. Our team is seeking a Civil Engineering Intern with at least 1-2 years of experience on land development projects to join our staff in our Lakeland office.
Engineering interns (EIs) perform similar duties required of a Project Engineer. EIs are expected to exercise independent judgment in matters related to work procedures and methods. The scope of responsibilities managed by this position will increase with years of experience.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for designing, drafting, and producing plans and related documentation, preparing reports, performing technical research, etc. for land development projects.
- Performs a variety of tasks in accordance with the programs and operating procedures of the company.
- Research and become familiar with applicable Federal, state, and local regulations and development standards in a particular field.
- Responsible for completing small tasks and phases of simple projects.
- Perform basic modeling and calculations under supervision from senior staff.
We all work together to achieve a common goal. You will work with engineers who design various types of systems and with contractors and operators who put those designs into practice. Working well within a team is important to your success.
Some projects require designing systems in phases. You should be able to foresee how the proposed designs will interact with other components of the larger system, including the workers, equipment, and the environment.
You may have to solve several issues at once when designing facilities and processes. Being able to identify and anticipate problems is necessary to prevent losses for the company, to safeguard the health of both workers and the general public, and mitigate environmental damage.
We work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment. As workflow demands change, it may be necessary to support production requirements as part of a project team, and step into various roles.
Let’s start the conversation.
- Graduate of a 4-year bachelor’s degree program in civil engineering.
- Must have 1-2 years of experience working in an engineering or civil engineering consultant environment, with a concentration in civil site design and/or private site development work
- Must have taken and passed the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering exam.
- Technical skills in mapping, design, or modeling software (AutoCAD, MicroStation, GIS, Sketch-Up, Microsoft, or related software packages)
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Critical thinking skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants equally without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability status.
- Vacation and holiday pay
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental options
- Ability to participate in our 401k
- Life insurance including employer-paid $50,000 of AD&D
- Short-term & long-term disability
- Opportunities for overtime