Chastain-Skillman is proud to announce that the Lakeland Skatepark has won the “Build It” Award from Heart of Florida Section Florida Chapter of the American Planning Association. The Heart of Florida Section is an organization dedicated to promoting excellence in local planning as well as educating the public on the importance of planning.
Chastain-Skillman is proud to have worked alongside great teaming partners Team Pain Skateparks, Little John Engineering, and Rodda Construction.
The projects are scored by the Awards Jurors based on five criteria:
▪ Innovation – Introduction of an original concept or a refinement of an existing technique or procedure.
▪ Transferability – Potential applicability in other areas of the state or to other planning projects.
▪ Quality – Excellence of analysis, writing, graphics and character of presentation.
▪ Implementation – Effectiveness of the work – i.e. proposals have been carried out or show promise of being carried out in the near future.
▪ Comprehensiveness – Planning principles have been observed, especially in considering a project’s effects on other public objectives and the surrounding environment.
The Lakeland Skatepark at Lake Bonny was no small project, taking 3 years for the dream to come to life with a grand total of 1.3 million dollars put into this one of a kind skatepark. The park opened in May of 2013 and has been a huge success ever since.
The 22,500 square foot park offers shade for both spectators and skateboarders, it features 2 bowls, a flow course, a street course and a snake run. The park is a great place for skaters of all skills levels and has already been the back drop for commercials for Nike and Lakai, a California Skateboarding Shoe company.
“The design process was a collaborative process that included Landscape Architexts, Skatepark Designers, Engineers, Planners, Skaters and perhaps most importantly, the Public. The finished product exhibits the influence from all of these different parties to yield a project that will be a community assets for years to come” Bruce Hall, RLA Little John Engineering
To capture the true essence of this unique park check out this great video by Kanga Marketing that was featured in YLakeland’s 2013 Video Contest.
Photos Courtesy of Team Pain Skateparks
Sources: YLakeland, The Lakeland Ledger, Kanga Marketing