Florida Southern has been a superb learning institution of liberal arts and science since 1883. It is also known for having the world’s largest single-site collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture. Like the Barnett Residence Halls, the 15,000-square foot classroom building on Lake Hollingsworth Drive at Johnson and Mississippi Avenues was designed by Robert A.M. Stern, an architect chosen to continue the Frank Lloyd Wright style of campus.
Dr. Marcene H. and Robert E. Christoverson donated $2 million for a new humanities building to provide technology-rich classrooms, study rooms, common areas, and film studies and language centers. A dramatic, welcoming roof greets the visitors approaching along Lake Hollingsworth Drive.
Chastain-Skillman (CS) provided the civil engineering services for the humanities building, including site grading and drainage, utility design, construction observation of the site work, and record drawing preparation. Permitting for the project included City of Lakeland site plan review, the Polk County Health Department, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, and the Southwest Florida Water Management District.
As with many urban sites needing redevelopment, space was tight within available land after the building and parking area were sited. Hence, an underground chamber system was used to provide stormwater treatment and retention. This provided the uncommon ability to use the space for more than one purpose simultaneously and resulted in a more elegant appearance for the new building.